With the beginning of the new school year fast approaching, parents, children and motorists should take time to review some key rules and guidelines to make the school year a safe and enjoyable experience.
Students on the Way to School Should
- Wait for their bus in a safe place, away from traffic and the street.
- Make sure they walk to and from school or the bus stop with others whom they know and trust.
- Tell the driver if they have dropped something near the bus before they retrieve it.
- Keep a safe distance from the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the driver says it is OK to approach and enter.
- Exit the bus and take 10 big steps away from the bus, always maintaining a safe distance from the bus.
- Pay attention to and obey all traffic signals and signs. It is also exceptionally important to be extra careful in foggy, rainy or snowy weather.
- Be in a reliable and responsible carpool, if they are not taking the bus. Carpool drivers should drop youngsters off as close to the school as possible,
- and make sure that they have entered the school or schoolyard before leaving the area.
- Be aware of the street traffic around them. Drivers are required to follow certain rules of the road concerning school buses and pedestrians; however not all do.
Children on Their Own After School Should
- Be sure to know their home phone number (including area code) and address, the numbers of their parents at work and of another trusted adult.
- Know how to call 911 in emergencies.
- Establish rules for locking doors and windows and answering the door or telephone.
- Have an agreement regarding inviting friends over or going to a friend’s house.
- Never talk to strangers or accept rides or gifts from strangers.
- Contact a parent or neighbor when they arrive home if they are staying home alone after school.
- Obey all traffic safety laws!
- Be alert for children walking on the sidewalks, in the road, etc.
- Come to a complete stop—at the minimum distance required by your state—for stopped buses and allow all children to cross the street, if necessary.
- Obey the specially marked speed limit around schools.
For more information on back to school safety…
Safe Kids Worldwide
National Safety Council