Posted 09/14/2018 by Kimber Westmore
This blog post originally appeared on the Allied Universal Fire Life Safety Training System blog.
This week, as we remember our emergency first responders who lost their lives in the 9/11 tragedy, we ramp up to honor some additional unsung heroes—security professionals.
Security officers, who strive to help maintain safe and secure workplaces, schools, shopping malls and communities, deserve heartfelt appreciation. Hard-working, highly trained men and women, security officers are counted among our country’s first responders. These individuals deter crime, lead evacuations, provide information, work closely with local law enforcement and are constantly vigilant in their efforts to keep us safe.
To recognize these heroes, Allied Universal began celebrating National Security Officer Appreciation Week in 2015. Celebrated the third week in September, the annual campaign provides an incredible opportunity to thank and recognize security officers’ contributions to personal and professional safety. This year’s observance will run from September 16-22, 2018.
The great work security officers do across the country is often taken for granted because people have come to expect security presence. But these professionals are much more than part of the backdrop of our communities and workplaces. While the specific details of each security officer’s duties differ by employer as well as location, here are some of the roles security professionals perform in addition to basic patrols to serve and care for our communities:
- Dispatcher—Monitors premises via video surveillance systems to guard against suspicious activity, loitering, vandalism and other issues that might impact a property.
- Lobby Ambassador—Builds relationships and welcomes staff and tenants by name, offering a personalized level of service. Promotes a safe and inviting environment and visitor experience through patrols, with courteous interactions and customer service.
- Safety Officer—Observes and reports property incidents and hazards that could potentially cause injuries.
- Risk Mitigator—Monitors and secures access points, manages after-hours entries and responds to alarms.
- First Responder—Saves lives by delivering first aid, CPR and emergency medical services. Also summon medical aid or law enforcement agencies, when needed.
From the little things, like helping to locate a lost vehicle in a parking lot or opening a door to welcome you, to bigger duties—like putting themselves in harm’s way to guarantee our safety or avert emergencies—security officers deserve our recognition.
Here are a few ways you can celebrate this noteworthy event:
- Recognize security officer contributions through an appreciation meeting or reception.
- Profile the many roles security officers fill.
- Debunk misconceptions and stereotypes.
- Raise awareness for security-related career opportunities.
- Buy your security officers lunch or coffee.
- Write an email or letter to thank your security team.
- Visit your security officers—shake their hands, say thank you and ask how they are doing.
- Encourage your staff to also say, “Thank you.”
- Include your security officers in ongoing recognition ceremonies.
Join us in celebrating the fourth annual National Security Officer Appreciation Week, September 16 – 22, 2018. Click here to add your message of thanks, and see what others have expressed at #ThankYouSecurity.
About Allied Universal Fire Life Safety Services System
Our interactive, e-learning program helps all types of buildings, including those in the commercial, residential, and higher education space, with compliance to fire life safety codes and instantly issues a certificate to building occupants who complete the course! It’s a convenient and affordable solution to the training needs of your facility. Click here for more information or to subscribe.
About the Author
Kimber Westmore is the director of Allied Universal’s Fire Life Safety Training Division.
9 days ago
I actually appreciate your content. The comment has genuinely peaks my interest. I’m going to subscribe your channel and maintain checking for new details. This insight really help for our start off infrastructure Tampa Airport Taxi . I am looking for some good blog sites for good info. I was searching over search engines and found your educational Channel. Well i like your high quality comment analysis plus your broadcasting abilities. Good Article!
9 days ago
Thank you for recognizing some unsung heroes - security professionals. Too often people form misconceptions about the roles of security professionals. The result of this is highly trained personnel are not adequately compensated for the knowledge and experience they possess, duties they perform and risks they are subject to on a daily basis. Your blog is a testament to security professionals.
Comments on this blog are moderated. There may be a slight delay before your comment is posted. For more information, please view ourBlog Comment Policy.